Are you tired of that harsh, burnt taste ruining your vaping experience? Have you ever taken a hit from your vape and were met with an unpleasant, throat-scratching sensation? If so, you’re not alone. Many vapers have experienced this frustrating phenomenon, but there is a way to fix this yourself, and the solution to this problem is simpler than you think: priming the coils.
In this article, we’ll show you how to prime a vape coil to ensure that every hit is flavorful and enjoyable. So, grab your vape, and let’s get started.
What is a vape coil?
Vaping has become a popular alternative to traditional cigarettes, and with good reason. It offers a fun customizable experience with a variety of flavors and nicotine strengths. However, even the most experienced vapers can experience the unpleasant taste of a dry hit. This can be avoided by properly priming your vape coil.
A vape coil is the heating element that converts e-liquid into vapor. It is made up of a metal wire wrapped around a wicking material, typically cotton. When you press the fire button on your vape device, the battery sends power to the coil, heating it and creating vapor.
Why would you need to prime a vape coil?
Priming is the process of saturating the wicking material in a coil with e-liquid before using it. The wicking material, usually cotton, is responsible for drawing e-liquid from the vape tank to the coil and ensuring that the coil is saturated.
If a coil is not primed correctly, it may lead to a dry hit, which is when the cotton in the coil is not saturated with e-liquid, and the coil heats up, producing a burnt taste that can ruin the flavor of your e-juice. A dry hit can also cause the wick to burn, reducing the lifespan of the coil.
Priming a coil is essential to ensure that it works correctly and to avoid any damage that may occur due to a dry hit.
How to prime a vape coil
Before you prime your vape coil, you will need the following materials:
- E-liquid: The e-liquid you select should be compatible with the coil’s resistance and power. This ensures that it offers the finest flavor and vapor production.
- Wick: The wick material, which is often cotton, is in charge of drawing e-liquid from the vape tank and transporting it to the coil.
- Vape device: The mod or battery that powers the coil, as well as the tank that carries the e-liquid.
- Drip tip: A drip tip is a little attachment that attaches to the top of the vape tank and allows you to drip e-liquid directly onto the coil while priming it.
- A paper towel or a clean cloth may be required to wipe up any excess e-liquid that drips on your hands during the priming procedure.
Priming a coil is a straightforward process that can be done in a few easy steps.
Step 1: Drip e-liquid onto the coil
The first step is to drip a few drops of e-liquid directly onto the coil. This way, you will make sure that the cotton wick is saturated with e-liquid, making it easier for the coil to heat up without causing a dry hit.
Step 2: Prime the wick
After dripping e-liquid onto the coil, it is essential to prime the wick. To do this, add a few drops of e-liquid to the wicking material around the coil until it is completely saturated. You should see the cotton turn from white to a darker shade as it absorbs the e-liquid.
Leave them to sit like this for a few minutes, but the longer the better. We recommend leaving them for at least 20 minutes to guarantee the best flavor and vapor production.
Step 3: Assemble the vape device
Once the wick is fully saturated with e-liquid, you can reassemble the vape device. Fill the tank with e-liquid, reattach the tank to the device, and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the e-liquid to soak into the wick fully.
Step 4: Test-fire the device
Before using the vape device, it is essential to test-fire it. Press the fire button for a few seconds without inhaling, and observe the vapor that is produced. If you see any signs of a dry hit, such as a burnt taste or a lack of vapor, repeat the priming process until the coil is adequately saturated with e-liquid.
How often should you prime a coil?
The frequency with which you need to prime your coil will depend on your usage habits and the type of e-liquid you use. Generally, it is recommended to prime your coil every time you change the e-liquid flavor or install a new coil.
If you vape frequently or use e-liquids with high VG content, you may need to prime your coil more often. High VG e-liquids are thicker and can clog the wicking material, leading to a dry hit if the coil is not adequately primed.
But when do you know it’s time for a new coil or vape device? The lifespan of a coil will depend on several factors, such as usage habits, the type of e-liquid used, and the wattage at which the device is used. Over time, the wicking cotton in a coil will break down and lose its ability to absorb e-liquid, giving it a burned taste, signing it might be time to get a new vape.
Tips and Tricks for Vape Coils
Priming your vape coil is an important part of maintaining your vape and ensuring that it provides the best flavor and vapor production. Here are some tips to help you extend the life of your vape’s coils:
Tips for preventing dry hits and burnt coils:
- Use the correct wattage: It is critical to choose the optimum wattage for your coil if you want to avoid dry hits and burnt coils. If the wattage is too low, the coil may fail to heat up sufficiently to evaporate the e-liquid, resulting in a dry hit. If the wattage is too high, the wick will burn and leave an unpleasant taste.
- Prevent chain vaping: Taking repeated puffs in short succession might cause the coil to overheat, resulting in a dry hit. Take gaps between puffs to allow it to cool down to avoid this.
- Prime the coil every time you change the e-liquid: To avoid residual e-liquid from altering the flavor and to guarantee that the wick is saturated with e-liquid, always prime the coil after changing the e-liquid flavor.
- Don’t overfill the tank: Overfilling the tank can result in e-liquid overwhelming the coil, decreasing the wick’s ability to absorb e-liquid and resulting in a dry hit.
- Use the right e-liquid: Using the proper VG/PG ratio e-liquid will prevent dry hits and burnt coils. High VG e-liquids are thicker and more likely to clog the wick, resulting in a dry hit if the coil is not fully primed.
Tricks for improving the flavour and longevity of the coil:
- Clean your coil regularly: Cleaning your coil can help increase its flavor and lifespan. Take the coil from the vape device and rinse it with warm water before reinstalling it.
- Use a flavor boost: Adding a flavor enhancer to your e-liquid can assist improve the flavor of your vape. Flavor boosts are intense flavorings that can be mixed into your e-liquid to enhance its flavor.
- Use the correct ohms: Choosing the right ohms for your coil is critical to getting the best flavor and vapor production. Using a coil with too few or too many ohms might have an impact on flavor and vapor production.
- Use a fresh battery: Replacing your battery can assist improve the flavor and vapor production of your vape device. A battery nearing the end of its life cycle may not have enough power to heat the coil, resulting in poor flavor and vapor production.
- Let the e-liquid steep: Letting the e-liquid steep, or age, can help improve the flavor of your vape. Steeping lets the flavors combine and develop, producing a smoother, more flavorful vape.
With the right priming technique, you can explore a wide variety of e-liquids and flavors to find your perfect match. So, don’t be afraid to try something new and exciting with your e-cigarette. Just remember to always prime your coil every time you change the vape juice or install a new vape coil, use the correct wattage, and avoid chain vaping.
If you need more info on this topic, don’t hesitate to contact us in the comments: we will get back to you as fast as we can.