Vapes, or e-cigarettes, have become wildly possible in the last decade due to the assumption that they are a safer alternative to smoking a traditional cigarette. They come in many different flavors and provide a dose of nicotine with each puff without all the side effects of smoking a cigarette.
A disposable vape pen, also known as a disposable puff bar, is a type of vape device meant to be used until the battery or e-liquid runs out.
So, you may be wondering how to recharge a disposable vape, and you are in the right place! Keep reading to learn about restoring disposable vapes.
About Disposable Vapes
Most traditional vapes are meant to be refilled and recharged so you can use them for a long time. You recharge the vape when the battery runs low and replace an empty tank when the e-liquid (or e-juice) is out.
They are also used in conjunction with traditional vape users as a backup for their main vape. The number of puffs you can expect to get out of a standard disposable e-cigarette or vape is between 600 and 800, and they are ready to go immediately, meaning they don’t require any assembly.
Most of these disposable vapes are not rechargeable. Once the battery dies or the pre-filled liquid is empty, they are intended to be tossed.
Can You Recharge a Disposable Vape?
Some manufacturers recognized that the batteries in these disposable vaporizers ran out of power long before the juice ran out, so they started making rechargeable disposable vape options.
Although you can still attempt to recharge a disposable vape that is not meant to be recharged, it is essential to note that this is extremely dangerous and should only be attempted by someone with knowledge of electrical currents and how to handle open wires safely.
How To Recharge a Disposable Vape
Now it is time to look at your vape and figure out if it has a charging port or not. Recharging your disposable vape will be pretty straightforward if you see a USB port on your vape. If it does not, you can still attempt to charge it, but consider tossing it and buying another one.
With Charging Port
If your disposable vape device comes with a USB port, usually a micro USB, plug a micro USB charger into the wall or other charging device such as a power bank, and plug the other end into your vape.
Although most vapes use a micro USB, you could have a model that uses a USB-c, so it is essential to verify which port you have so you can use the correct charger.
You can look at the manufacturer’s instructions for how long you should charge your vape, but it usually only takes a few hours.
There should be an indicator light on the vape that will change color when the vape is fully charged.
Without Charging Port
If your vape does not have a charging port anywhere, you must charge it manually. This method can be hazardous, especially if you are unfamiliar with electricity and its workings. The disposable vape could blow up in your hand or even shock you.
This is due to the type of battery inside these specific disposable vapes, alkaline batteries. Alkaline batteries are prone to overheating while being charged, resulting in expanding, leaking, and even bursting!
If you understand the dangers but still want to attempt to charge your vape, here is a step-by-step guide. You can also watch this video for more detailed instructions.
- Prepare Your Charger. First, you need to prepare your charger. You will need an old USB charger that you won’t need to use anymore. Ensure the charger is not plugged into a power source before proceeding. Next, cut the end of the charging cable exposing the two wires inside. Carefully strip the excess wire until about two inches of the red and black wire are exposed. Now, you want to expose bare wires. To do this, use a pair of wire cutters to gently strip the red and black coating off the wires, exposing about half an inch of bare wire.
- Pop Off the Bottom of the Vape. Now, use a pair of pliers to pop off the bottom of the vape. You don’t want to remove it entirely, just enough to have access to the battery. If you have a model where the battery is glued into the inside of the vape, you will need to remove the entire life to access the wires more easily. To do this, locate the rubber or plastic sensor attached to the bottom of the vape, and pop it off.
- Look For the Positive and Negative Terminals on the Battery. Usually, the battery will have a plus sign (+), the positive terminal, and a minus sign (-), the negative terminal. Look for the red and black wires. Usually, the negative terminal has a black wire attached to it, and the positive terminal has a red wire attached to it. Sometimes these wires are taped down. If so, gently remove the tape to expose the wires.
- Attach the Charging Cable to the Battery. First, attach alligator clips to the wires. Start with the negative wire and insert it into the alligator clip. Use your pliers to clamp down firmly to secure the alligator clip to the wire. Repeat the process with the positive wire. Ensure the red and black wires do not touch, as this could shock you or shorten the battery entirely. Now connect the clip attached to the red wire to the positive battery terminal and the clip attached to the black wire to the battery’s negative terminal. The vape should only take around 10 minutes to charge. Ensure you stay close when the vape is charging to ensure it isn’t overheating. If you see smoke at any point, unplug the charger immediately.
- Test your vape. Now that the 10 minutes are up. It is time to test your vape. Unplug your charger and remove the alligator clips starting with the negative terminal. Put everything back together and reattach the bottom of the vape. Your vape should now be charged and hit like normal.
Always remember to practice safety when working with electrical components, and if you feel uncomfortable at any point, it is best to throw the vape away and buy a new one. We hope you found this article helpful. Let us know in the comments if you have any questions or concerns!